> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > Vedic bonds? I don't think so! No reputable or
> > disreputable financial institution is going to touch
> > anything in the movement. They'll do their due
> > diligence and very quickly conclude that the TMO and
> > MMY are profoundly unstable and an exceedingly high
> > financial risk.
>
> Ya never know.  In some important respects, the
> TMO does business pretty much the way that Enron
> did, and until the bubble burst, Enron was the
> darling of the investment banks.
>
> One of my favorite of Enron's scams (written up
> in, I think, Fortune) was when they went to invest-
> ment banks to get capital for a new joint venture
> company they were planning with Blockbuster Video.
> It sounded a bit dicey, but with the combination
> of the Enron name and the Blockbuster name, the
> banks loaned the new front company billions of
> dollars in startup money.
>
> It turns out that Blockbuster had *never* agreed
> to be part of the scheme, recognizing it as a
> scam at first sight.  But Enron told the banks
> that Blockbuster was a solid partner anyway.  2-3
> weeks after the money had been transferred to the
> new startup company, lo and behold! the company
> had declared bankruptcy and none of the money
> could be found; the banks lost every penny of
> their investment  That had been Enron's plan all
> along.

I remember when the Reichmann family of Toronto were the darlings of
the world real estate market...this was about 15 years ago and up to
then everything the Reichmanns touched turned to gold.

Well, one day the family patriarch, Paul Reichmann, walked into a
bank for a loan of a few billion dollars and the bank was so excited
about doing business with the Reichmanns that they did NOT do the
due diligence that they would do if they were loaning me or you
$15,000 to buy a new car.

They loaned the money and -- you guessed it -- never got a cent bank.

As for Enron, the funny thing is that those who took the time to
study the financial statements of Enron and do their homework found
out that it was a paper Tiger.  James Chanos is a case in point.  He
is an investor who did exactly that with Enron, realized that
something was amiss, shorted Enron stock when it was at its peak,
and made 100s of millions of dollars.