On Aug 13, 2005, at 5:41 PM, Rory Goff wrote:

> Yes, I "recall" learning a lot of this stuff amongst the Pythagoreans
> and Neoplatonists, but don't recall if I've read Plato's Republic.
> Many thanks, Vaj; I will keep my eyes open for it :-)

Just do a web search for it "plato myth of er". It's the classic sun,
moon, polestar experience.

Basically there has been a war and there are all these dead bodies they
are piling up to burn. When they throw Er's--a great warrior--body on
the pyre he sits upright and recalls his experience of leaving his body
and visiting other dimensions. The Er myth is relatively short to read
(as opposed to the Republic which is rather long).

I remember reading it the first time and thinking "oh my god, they knew
this too", it's that close.