Geez John, where the hell have you been?  We've been mentioning for
years on FFL and discussing a lot of books, articles, documentaries and
biopics that explain the problem.  One couldn't write a better scifi
scenario if they tried.

I got interested in economics back in the late 70s.  I read everything
from Galbraith, Ravi Batra to Milton Friedman.  I especially enjoyed the
"economic novels" of the late Paul Erdman who made the economic crisis
of the time understandable.  They even made a movie of one book, "Silver
Bears" with Michael Cain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erdman

At least the Reagan administration sent some of the the S&L crooks to
prison.  Obama is too endeared to Wall Street for that I'm afraid.
We're really screwed.  Best thing is a massive collapse that must wipe
out the very rich and age old banking institutions.  IOW a complete reboot.