On Dec 9, 2011, at 10:29 AM, sparaig wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2011, at 8:04 AM, seventhray1 wrote:
>
> > Oh, good. I'll just have to revise my experience so it conforms
> > with your analysis.
>
> Actually we've all already been pre-programmed to believe in the
> stress release, "unstressing", model is factually correct. Each time
> we "transcend" we're chipping away at those stresses in our nervous
> system. So I believe most of us who were indoctrinated into TM would
> chose as you did.

Actually, the current theory of how TM works is that it sets up a situation in the thalamus that inhibits the thalamo-coritical feedback loops that scientists believe are what we experience as "thoughts." This allows the brain to relax into a default mode of functioning where it is still alert, but literally not thinking about much of anything. The stronger the inhibition, the less thinking tha is done. Coincidentally, the default mode of functioning that results is where the front part of the brain and the back part of the brain are most easily able to communicate with each other. This is the exact opposite of stress, which tends to interfere with the communication between the front and back parts of the brain.

The only problem with such theories is Lawson that TM is really only an elementary practice of mantra meditation. From the POV of the actual mantra tradition, the subtlest level of mantra in TM - the point where one still has some abstract feeling of the mantra before reaching what TMers believe is "the transcendent" - is 512 times more gross than the subtlest level of mantra reached before the mind is actually transcended - what is known as the unmana stage. In order to even access those levels of subtlety one needs to complete the piercing of the bindu (bindu-bhedana) and master further levels of practice. This level of subtlety simply does not exist in TM.

So theories that are in effect based on iterations of the grossest levels of mind are not really, ultimately, of much value except to the indoctrinated TM crowd, and those they can still fool. As I've said many times, you need to transcend the transcendent (what's believed to be "transcendent" in TM) to even begin to approach the actual full transcendence of mind.

Once that level is attained, then some interesting research could be done. However since the 'canon of awakening in TM' was effectively frozen with the death of MMY, that point will never be reached. It's also therefore a fact that all TM research can only ever be of minor interest to serious consciousness researchers.