Our Tradition

Shankaracharya established an ascetic order 1,200 years ago, though renunciates
had already lived in
an unbroken lineage from the Vedic period. He organized his orders through five
main centers in the
North, East, South, West, and center of India. The entire ascetic order of
India traces its tradition from one
of these centers. Our tradition is Bharati. Bha means “knowledge”; rati means
“lover.” Bharati means “he
who is the lover of knowledge.” From this comes the word Bharata, the land of
spiritual knowledge, one of
the Sanskrit names used for India.

There is one thing unique to our tradition. It links itself to an unbroken
lineage of sages even beyond
Shankara. Our Himalayan tradition, though a tradition of Shankara, is purely
ascetic, and is practiced in
the Himalayan caves rather than being related with institutions established in
the plains of India. In our
tradition learning of the Upanishads is very important, along with the special
advanced spiritual practices
taught by the sages. The Mandukya Upanishad is accepted as one of the
authoritative scriptures.
The knowledge of Sri Vidya is imparted stage by stage and the advanced student
is taught Prayoga
Shastra [which explains the practicality and application of the discipline one
has to follow for this
knowledge]. We believe in both the Mother and the Father principles of the
universe. That which is called
maya, or illusion, in our worship becomes the Mother and does not remain as a
stumbling block or
obstacle on the path of spiritual enlightenment. All of our worship is internal
and we do not perform any
rituals.

There are three stages of initiation given according to our tradition. First:
mantra, breath awareness,
and meditation; second: inner worship of Sri Vidya and bindu bhedana (piercing
the pearl of wisdom);
third: shaktipata and leading the force of kundalini to the thousand-petaled
lotus called the sahasrara
chakra. At this stage we do not associate ourselves with any particular
religion, caste, sex, or color. Such
yogis are called masters and are allowed to impart the traditional knowledge.
We strictly follow the
discipline of the sages.

It is not possible for me to discuss in detail the secret teachings of Prayoga
Shastra, for it is said: “Na
datavyam, na datavyam, na datavyam—Don’t impart, don’t impart, don’t impart”
unless someone is fully
prepared and committed and has practiced self-control to a high degree. These
attainments can be
verified through the experiences of the sages of the past. In our path,
gurudeva is not a god but a bright
being who has faithfully and sincerely attained a state of enlightenment. We
believe in the grace of the
guru as the highest means for enlightenment, but never as the end. The purpose
of the guru is to
selflessly help his disciples on the way to perfection.

Our tradition has the following orientation:

1. One Absolute without a second is our philosophy.

2. Serving humanity through selflessness is an expression of love, which one
should follow through
mind, action, and speech.

3. The yoga system of Patanjali is a preliminary step accepted by us for the
higher practices in our
tradition, but philosophically we follow the advaita system of one Absolute
without a second.

4. Meditation is systematized by stilling the body, having serene breath, and
controlling the mind.
Breath awareness, control of the autonomic nervous system, and learning to
discipline primitive
urges are practiced.

5. We teach the middle path to students in general, and those who are prepared
for higher steps of
learning have the opportunity to learn the advanced practices. This helps
people in general in their
daily lives to live in the world and yet remain above. Our method, for the
convenience of Western
students, is called superconscious meditation. I am only a messenger delivering
the wisdom of the
Himalayan sages of this tradition, and whatever spontaneously comes from the
center of intuition,
that I teach. I never prepare my lectures or speeches, for I was told by my
master not to do so.

6. We do not believe in conversion, changing cultural habits, or introducing
any God in particular. We
respect all religions equally, loving all and excluding none. Neither do we
oppose any temple,
mosque, or church, nor do we believe in building homes for God while ignoring
human beings. Our
firm belief is that every human being is a living institution or a temple.

7. Our members are all over the world, and for the sake of communication we
also believe in
education. Our graduate program imparts the knowledge given by the sages,
thereby fulfilling the
inner need of intellectuals.

8. We practice vegetarianism. We teach a nutritional diet that is healthy and
good for longevity, but at
the same time we are not rigid and do not force students to become vegetarians.

9. We respect the institution of the family and stress the education of
children by introducing a selftraining
program and not by forcing our beliefs, faiths, and way of life on them.

10. Our trained teachers systematically impart all aspects of yoga relating to
body, breath, mind, and
individual soul. Awareness within and without is the key, and the methods of
expansion are
carefully introduced to the students.

11. To serve humanity we believe in examining, verifying, and coming to certain
conclusions
regarding the yoga practices, including relaxation and meditation.

12. Our experiments are documented and published for the benefit of humanity.

13. We believe in universal brotherhood, loving all and excluding none.

14. We strictly abstain from politics and from opposing any religion.

15. Of great importance is the practice of non-violence with mind, action, and
speech.
The knowledge that is imparted by the sages and masters of the Himalayas guides
the aspirant like a
light in the darkness. The purpose of this message is to awaken the divine
flame that resides in the
reservoir of every human being. This flame, when perfectly kindled by spiritual
discipline, mounts higher
and higher into the vast light of truth. It rises through the vital or nervous
mind, passes through our mental
sky, and finally enters at the paradise of light, its own supreme home in the
eternal truth. Then the
illumined practitioner sits calm in his celestial sessions with the highest of
powers and drinks the wine of
infinite beatitude. This child of immortality is a child of universal parents,
protected all the time by the
Mother Divine. This rapturous child of bliss remains divine-will intoxicated in
delight. He becomes a
sage, a sleepless envoy and ever-wakeful guide for those who tread the path.
Such a leader on the path
marches in front of human people to comfort, help, and enlighten them.

Om, Shanti, Shanti, Shanti