--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2011, at 12:15 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
> >
> > Is it the same thing, or something different? Beats me?
> > I am no neuroscientist, or even a trained behavioral
> > scientist. All I know is that if some of the states
> > that we commonly see "awakened" people go through are
> > (as we suspect) a little more than "eccentric," it's a
> > situation that is made more serious by total belief in
> > the sanctity and "truth" of subjective experience.
>
> What's amazing to me is to have witnessed the machinations of a so-
> called "enlightened man" in 1983 and to find no discernible
> difference between 1983 and 2011 - except I have a better
> understanding now of mental illness, back then it was just the
> intuition that 'something's not right here'. Of course once
> everyone saw the videos of "the enlightened man" beating one
> of his students, on official video, on the stage - that was
> the last straw. The emperor of ice cream melted.

I don't know who or what you're referring to, but I can
say from experience that "the last straw" wouldn't have
happened for true TBs even at that point. They'd have
found ways to "explain it away."

> > People have been taught for decades that their subjec-
> > tive experience is the holy grail with which to judge
> > "spiritual experience" or their "evolution" towards
> > something they've been told is enlightenment. At the
> > same time, there was no instruction along the way that
> > taught them how to differentiate between actual spir-
> > itual experience and overwhelming emotion.
>
> Well, as TMers we were not taught to refine attention, let alone
> master it's balance - but we believed we were anyways....that's
> what they said! An institutionalized fear of effort made sure
> of that never would occur. Hell some TMers still imagine
> themselves in these exalted samadhis - it's insanely hilarious
> and insanely sad at the same time.

More sad than hilarious for me these days.

> Circa the early 80's many TMers I knew got caught up in
> 'healing the "emotional body"' thang. The belief that was
> spread around was that TM was too dry as it transcended the
> emotional body, thereby skipping it. So a popular cult arose,
> combining a mixture of hyperventilation, focused massage and
> rebirthing in hot tubs. It was during one of those sessions
> that the first friend I knew declared his status as an
> awakened one. Shortly thereafter, the ex-initiator started
> his own system - suspiciously based on this bubble diagram-
> like drawing. We were all encouraged to move to the Southwestern
> US, as 'that's where all the evolved ones were going'.

Well, that's where I went, so he may have been onto
something.  :-)

> He did make an interesting first "channel" on how the followers
> of RWC were actually all reincarnations of an off-split that had
> caused disciples to leave a legit guru for a false guru.

I might characterize it more as "trading down," from
one charlatan to another, but I get the gist of what
you're saying.  :-)

> > As a result
> > (IMO), they get into a manic state, interpret the
> > overwhelming emotions of it as "spiritual," and
> > consider what they're going through -- *whatever*
> > it may be -- synonymous with Truth.
>
> They're healing their emotional bodies, can't you SEE? All
> that emotion's been pent up from all that rounding. TM was
> just too damn efficient for American nervous systems!

Damned no-caste nobodies!  :-)

> > So in a way the manic states become self-replicating.
> > Having convinced themselves that a previous manic
> > state was something akin to enlightenment, they
> > mood-make more of them.
>
> Well it's interesting because the Sanskrit word for "mood" is
> "bhava". The words for TM are bhavatita-dhyana, that is literally
> "beyond moods meditation". But what is it they get enlightened in?
>
> Moods. Or mood management. Or lack of mood management. Whatever
> you want to call it.

Unless it pays off in real-world benefits that are visible
to everyone, not just the person claiming such moods, I
remain unconvinced of the benefit.