Great story.

John Carroll, a regular columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, has a
Christmas season tradition where he encourages everyone to go to their ATM and
draw out as much cash as they think that they can afford, and then take that
out to the streets and distribute as many $20 bills to the homeless and street
beggars as they have twenties to give.  No questions or conditions, just pure
cash and for someone living on the streets (or just spending their days there)
a twenty dollar bill is a big boost.

Maybe you can't do twenties, maybe the same routine with tens or fives would be
more suitable to your situation, but it's still a big chunk of kindness for the
receivers.

Your story from "Metropolitan Diaries" reminded me of that tradition, thanks
for that.

***