On 01/16/2012 02:07 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> Winners in red and starred. My comments in whatever this color is.
> Cecil B. DeMille Award  Morgan Freeman
>
> About bloody time.
>    <http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/#>   Best Motion Picture -
> Drama  * The Descendants<http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thedescendants/>
<big snip>

I don't usually watch awards shows.  They remind me of high school
graduations.  But I caught about the last hour of it.  In backward
American NBC bleeped out comments by Rick Gervais and also Meryl Streep
when she realized she didn't have her glasses.  For the record the
networks have this censorship rule in front of the Supreme Court.  It
would be great for the court to rule against FCC rules on this and it
could happen because of the conservative nature of the court (ruling
against government interference with network business).  Sometimes I
guess conservatives are worth something.  I don't think it's because the
networks want to load down shows with "F" and "S" words (the latter
showing up on cable networks these days but not the former) but probably
to save the expense of creating two versions one for the US (and
probably prudish India) and another for the rest of the more enlightened
world.  Hearing the sound cut off makes one think you're in the old
Soviet Union.

I followed the Golden Globes by watching Monty Hellman's 1971 film "Two
Lane Blacktop".  I should have watched it on Saturday when it was
*supposed* to have arrived but mail delivery in the "greatest country in
the world" is getting worse and worse.  I got mail on Saturday but the
carrier dropped the Netflix envelope at one of the neighbors who didn't
drop it off until Sunday morning.  I'm on the fence about keeping
Netflix disc delivery but it is damn hard to find gems like this film
and it won't be a Redbox.

I wanted to see this film after watching Hellman's "Road to Nowhere" on
Bluray recently (it's available now as streaming too).  It was his first
film in 20 years and a movie about a movie and filmed using Digital SLR
cameras.  However it pales compared to his 1971 film which stars James
Taylor, Dennis Wilson, Laurie Bird and Warren Oates.  Yes that James
Taylor and Dennis Wilson both non-actors who along with non-actor Bird
did fine in the film.  It's about a road race across the country in a
souped up 1955 Chevy.  Usually not my cup of tea either but a great
character study and a 70's film classic.  Not only that the DVD (not
available streaming) is a Criterion edition and wonderfully restored
with two very interesting commentaries one with Hellman and another film
teacher which I listened to after the film.  The second queued up for
tonight is with the writers.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Two-Lane_Blacktop/1074742

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067893/