Curtis, no need to send me anything in the mail, but thanks for the thought
anyway.

Yeah, the cold water immersion reaction is definitely real and even yesterday,
the first time I got dumped I came up gasping; it was all I could do to
frustrate the impulse while I was still underwater. And the only thing I had
exposed was my face. But after that first time it was fine for the rest of the
session.

The problem I'm having now is that I'm still 15 pounds lighter than I used to
be after a couple of major surgeries this last summer and that was all my
natural insulation, so even with a good wetsuit, I start to get cold after an
hour or so when the water gets down into the 40s. You'd be surprised how much
different just a few degrees can make. Once the water gets to around 52 degrees
I generally don't even wear a hood, though I always wear booties and generally
gloves, regardless. I'm always impressed with the folk who don't wear either,
though I only noticed a few people yesterday without gloves on.

Here's a great article from today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/sports/arctic-adventure-a-1500-mile-trip-by-sea-kayak.html?

Now those two (Mr. Boomer and Mr. Turk) are some manly men! And the one guy,
Turk, is even older than I am. With some good fortune I hope to keep doing what
I'm doing until I'm way up in my 70s, maybe even beyond that. It will be a sad
day when the only waves I can surf will be those I mind-surf while watching
from shore.

Enjoy Barbie as you find her.

***

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>