--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@> wrote:

> >> Maharishi may have had the most scope by virtue of the change of
> >> technology during his 50 years in the West.
> >
> > However much I respect Yogananda-ji, has anyone living a non-reclusive life
> > claimed Enlightenment from practising his techniques ? Or anyone at all for
> > that matter ?
>
> Hard to say. Here are some links discussing Yogananda, his techniques and
> disciples. The last link has a discussion that could well apply to any
> teacher's disciples.
>
> http://oaks.nvg.org/yogananda-changed-kriya.html
> http://www.mountainrunnerdoc.com/page/page/5488517.htm
> http://www.edsharrow.com/?p=453

Yogananda taught meditation in the context Yoga as specified by Maharishi
Patanjali, MMY taught a form of Yoga-lite for modernity in the context of
Science which he modified in order to be more acceptable to Western Culture.

Patanjali taught Dharana or Concentration as the 6th limb (anga) leading to
meditation (Dhyana) culminating in Samadhi.  MMY taught a simple form of mantra
japa (repetition) much simpler than the more difficult procedures suggested by
Patanjali, they both work!!

Is one better than the other, perhaps. MMY doesn't teach the 6th limb or the
first two!