On 04/15/2012 10:27 AM, Emily Reyn wrote:
> <snip>
> This country is so
> tied up in knots that a complete collapse probably is the only
> solution. Unfortunately not fun.
>

> Ha, hence my desire to grow vegetables :)  The survival skill set that may be
> needed is not one that us "urban folks" have.

I have more lemons than I know what to do with.  Gave a bag to the next
door neighbor yesterday.  Since they're about $1 each at the grocery
people appreciate them.  Even my guru likes lemonade though he reminded
me giving sour fruit is considered an insult in India.

My broccoli plants aren't doing too great so may try another packet of
seeds.  I'll plant some zukes next month.  I have an apple tree and
those are very difficult to do organically.  I may have beat the
coddling moths to the buds this year though by putting the trap up earlier.

We do have a nice Sunday farmers market downtown and I picked up a few
things today.  It was crowded as we are finally having a California
spring day (supposed to be in the 70s).  In fact there was too long a
line at Starbucks so did my shopping first but still too long a line
when I returned.  So I checked the Starbucks near my house and way too
long a line their plus they are very inefficient so it was probably
faster to drive two miles to yet another Starbucks where if there is a
long line I'll use the one in Safeway.  However no line there.

I see the other independent espresso place downtown is throwing in the
towel.  They are at the other end of the block from Starbucks but the
owner a bit crusty and forgetful.  However he claims to have another
venture he wants to get into and so it's not about business at his
shop.  I see folks with McDonald's cups so Starbucks may even be losing
business to them.  The McDonald's downtown is only open weekdays for
breakfast and lunch because the court house is across the street.