Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche (CNR) –

  CNR : Thought is samsara. Being free of thought is liberation.

  Emptybill:

If being "thought free" is liberation then even the beings
absorbed in prakriti (prakriti-laya) or those beings absorbed in
unconscious cessation (asamjña-nirodha) would be liberated.

CNR: The bottom line is this: we need to know how to dissolve thoughts.

  Emptybill:

Already thoughts dissolve naturally.  Simple observation shows that
thoughts arise, abide and cease on their own without the manipulation of
mental or spiritual strategies.

  CNR:  Whenever there is thought, it follows that there is clinging.

  Emptybill: Wow, what a Buddha!  CNR can now give talks like this
without generating a single thought and thus without any clinging. (What
an enlightened person hovering in our very midst!)

  CNR: We understand that thinking is delusion. However, to want to be
free and at the same time to want to hang on to conceptual thinking is a
contradiction in terms. It is something that will not happen. It is an
impossible task.

Emptybill: Thinking is conceptual by nature. Language is necessarily
conceptual since it uses phonemes that perish after their utterance.
Memory congregates these quanta of discrete human speech sounds into
words, sentences and conventions of meaning. Vyasa's bhasya of
Patanjalayogasutra (YS 3.17) discusses all this.

To indict thinking, as if it were some disease, is sheer folly and
ridiculously contradictory.