--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@...> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams" <richard@> wrote:

>>> Yaoshan, the great master Hongdao, was sitting. A

>> nablusoss1008:
>>> This is exactly why I've never encountered a strong
>>> and really healthy Buddhist. They're lost in gibberish
>>> like this.
>>>
>> What is it about Lute's definition of TM that you do
>> not understand? Is it the part about going beyond
>> thinking, or the part about thinking?
>>
>> "'Transcendental' means to go beyond; 'meditation' means
>> thinking. Hence, 'Transcendental Meditation' means to go
>> beyond thinking." - Charlie Lutes
>>
>> http://www.maharishiphotos.com/tmintro.html
>
> At least Krishnamurthi, at the very end of his life had the guts to admit
> that his teachings had been a failure because not a single soul had reached
> transcendence from his lifelong teachings.
>
> Noone transcends by be being told to "just be" or "think not thinking". It's
> useless.
>
> But for the Llamas with all their abbottery and students and schools in the
> West and status it's probably impossible to muster the courage of a
> enlightened soul like Krishamurthi.
> These Llamas are like the americans say: "All hats no cattle"

I saw Krishnamurti just once. I cannot remember a thing about what he said. I
also used to know someone who worked for him. He tried to talk like
Krishnamurti, but it seemed hollow compared to what I have read in
Krishnamurti's books. Those who slip into unity without having had to go
through what most of us go through seem to have a lot of trouble getting
through to people. Another such one is Ekhart Tolle. He had a great experience,
but he seems to have problems similar to Krishnamurti - he can talk about it
but cannot guide people effectively in the 'proper' direction. Another person,
Melvyn Wartella seems to have had a similar experience, enlightenment without a
guru or tradition. He put up a web site 'Friends of Reality' describing his
experience, and making some attempt to make the idea of enlightenment clear,
but he chooses mostly to stay with his family and not interact with others,
other than to put up this information.

http://friendsofreality.org/friendsofreality.org_index.html/home.html

In the case of Zen, the things you see in books only shows the tip of the
iceberg. Zen students spend a lot of time meditating, so the exchanges you see
between student and master represent the master attempting to apply a trigger
to set off an experience. Undoubtedly most of the time this fails, and the
reports in the books you see are just the ones that worked, but these moments
were preceded by years of meditation and also perhaps, study of doctrine etc.,
so here the situation is different than for the rare individual that gets
enlightened spontaneously without much in the way of discipline, study, or
meditation, and spend their life trying to tell others about it.

So just telling someone to not think probably would only work once in a billion
times, in other words, worthless. My first experiences, before I learned TM
involved some guided meditation, and an environment that was very hostile to
conceptual thinking, and this was a very secular thing, zero religious
overtones, and this resulted in some astounding experiences but they did not
last more than a few days, but it gave me the sense of what unity might be
like, and those experiences became a reference for sorting out the wheat from
the chaff. It is possible to have the experience that goes under the label
'transcending' without reference to the word at all, and to have it not in
meditation, but while engaged in activity if the environment is keyed to
produce this.

In cosmic consciousness (TM schema) transcending no longer really occurs in a
technical sense, but as someone posted a while back, this state is a glorified
ignorance (I had never heard MMY said this, but it sounds right). The methods
in Zen talked about are basically dedicated to knock the mind into unity. CC is
not discussed much from what I can discern, since it is regarded as a state of
delusion in Zen. I have occasionally related Zen stories to TM meditators, and
they simply do not get them (though a friend of mine, a TM meditator of about
40-plus years says she thinks Zen seems to have a Vedanta point of view). The
conceptual framework in the TMO seems more geared to keeping the meditator in
the conceputal system rather than to break the system to pieces, which is what
is needed to experience unity. In other words any system geared to produce the
enlightened state basically has to self-destruct because not only do you have
to transcend thought, you have to transcend what these thoughts and concepts
mean and signify when in activity, because unity is not on the level of
meaning. And then they lose their grip on your mind. While I like reading about
Zen, I am not a Buddhist. There is a phrase in Zen, if you meet the Buddha on
the street, you should kill him. Now how many meditators, if they were
hypothetically to meet Maharishi on the street, would tell him to f**k off?
This is just an expression of life beyond conceptual thinking. It doesn't mean
you will henceforth be some intractable bastard walking the streets of life
insulting everyone and every concept about life you encounter (except perhaps
if we are on the FFL forum).