--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@...> wrote:

> You should consider that gospel as fiction and for entertainment
> use only.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. The only difference
between JohnR and myself is that I extend his advice to
ALL scripture, no matter what its supposed "pedigree" or
claim to authenticity.

> There's a reason why the Christian Church excluded this writing
Results sectionfrom the official church canon.

If you had actually read the Gospel Of Judas, you would
know what that reason is. The language he uses clearly
identifies him as a Gnostic, thus raising the question,
"Was his spiritual teacher (Jesus) one, too." The Church
couldn't have that, since they had designated Gnosticism,
Catharism, and other forms of Dualist thought to be heresy.

> More likely, the source of that writing is questionable. You
> should do more research on this matter to satisfy your own
> curiousity.

As <ahem> should you.

It's an interesting text, more so for me than for you,
probably, because I can easily recognize the Dualist
elements in it. Were they there in Christ's teaching, or
did Judas project his own Gnostic "baggage" onto a
different teaching? We'll never know.

All that we do know is that -- FOR PURELY POLITICAL
REASONS -- the Church felt that it had to stick to
the Party Line it had developed in the first century
after Christ's death. Once the Party Line was in place,
no "gospel" could be earmarked as authoritative if it
deviated from that Party Line.

To try to imagine the scenario, visualize the scene if
each of Maharishi's skin boys wrote a book about their
time with him, and each did so completely honestly. Half
of them would cling to the Party Line, and support the
myth that he was a life celibate. The other half would
be able to present conversations and details about the
number of female students he had sex with. Which half do
you think would make it into the published "Gospels Of
Maharishi?" Duh.

Imagine the consternation of the Committee Of Dweebs if
they found that one of the "Maharishi made out like a
bandit" authors *also* included one of the best -- and
one of the *only* -- stories claiming to have witnessed
him performing an actual miracle or demonstrating a
siddhi. The Committee's function is to perpetuate and
grow the myth of Maharishi. So does a good "miracle story"
trump another story by the same author about the times he
had some woman he'd grown tired of shipped off to another
country to keep her out of sight, and silent? It's a
veritable koan.  :-)