Chopra seems to be referring to the notion that observation/ consciousness
collapses the probability wave function which results in one possible
superposition state becoming physically manifest.This is one of a bunch of
theories that attempt to explain the weirdness of quantum mechanics.A recent
proponent of this is Robert Lanza in the book Biocentrism. Another aspect of
this theory is that conscious beings are required to allow the observer effect
to take place.
An implication of the latter is that only universes that have conscious
observers can  physically manifest.Since conscious beings would only be present
in universes where life developed and evolved into conscious beings, it would
follow that while evolution is required for conscious beings to exist,the
reverse is also true.A related concept to this discussion is the block universe
which says that the time-space continuum simply is and that the "past"
 "present" and "future" are completely relative and entirely dependent on where
a conscious observer is in the space-time continuum. OTOH I don't think any of
the above supports the
idea that consciousness "guides" evolution.