emptybill:
> This clearly predates Gautama Shakyamuni
> by a good 150-200 years...

Maybe you should state the actual dates of
the historical Buddha.

One famous Upanishad is traditionally
assigned to the keeping of the Jyotirmath,
one of the four mathas established by the
Adi Shankara in 812 A.D.

Since the time of the first Shankaracahraya,
Trotaka Saraswati, this scripture has been
recited on a daily basis at the Badrika
Ashram, Himalayas.

The Mandukhya Upanishad is the keystone in
the arch of Shankara's Adwaita Vedanta. The
scripture was made famous by Gaudapadacharya,
the teacher of the teacher of Shankara.

Gaudapada composed a famous Karika on
Mundakhya, and Shankara composed a
commentary on both.

> and belies the claim that the whispered
> wisdom lineage of Upanishad Jñana was
> just dressed up Buddhism...

Well, I guess if there were Upanishads that
mentioned 'Pure Consciousness' as the
Ultimate Reality the historical Buddha
would have mentioned them, since he pretty
accurately deliniated all the philisopical
schools prevalent in his day, such as the
Ajivikas and the nihilist Carvaka.

It is a fact that there is a profound
similarity between the philosophies of
Gaudapada and Nagarjuna.

Gaudapada says:

"There are some (shunyavadins) who uphold
non-dualism (advayavada) and reject both
the extreme views of being and non-being,
of production and destruction and thus
emphatically proclaim the doctrine of
no-origination.

We approve", says Gaudapada, "of the