---  "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...> wrote:

> Feste & Share:
> Although Alan Greenspan, Ronald Reagan and most of his cabinet were Ayn Rand
> fanboys, she opposed Reagan's candidacy for his anti-choice position on
> abortion and, "the appalling disgrace of his administration's connection with
> the so-called "Moral Majority"...who...with his approval...take us back to
> the Middle Ages, via the unconstitutional union of religion and politics."
> http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/ayn_rand_absolutely_hated_ronald_reagan/
>
> Ayn Rand was an atheist, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it
> sure caused Paul Ryan some embarrassment with the religionists in his party.
> Recently, he saved his political neck in a statement to National Review
> saying, "I reject her [Rand] philosophy. It's an atheist philosophy. It
> reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to
> my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person's view on
> epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas. Don't give me Ayn Rand."
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/27/paul-ryan-ayn-rand_n_1459098.html
>
> It's understandable that as a Catholic Republican, Ryan prefers certainty.
> He's an authoritarian personality who likes things spelled out for him by an
> authority. He marches around the halls of Congress in jackboots and I'm sure
> he steers clear of the Congressional Black caucus.
>
> Ryan sees it as his duty to assert what he believes is a moral and therefor
> justifiable philosophy into his politics. He will blindly follow Rand to the
> end of his days, even if there's ample proof that what once looked good in
> print doesn't work in real life. His adherence to *rules* whether Rand or
> Aquinas, of how things *ought* to be might explain the ruthlessness of his
> economic plan to strip Medicare from seniors.
>
> Ayn Rand had it right about the separation of church and state and pro-choice
> but there's a whole lot wrong with the main tenant of her philosophy,
> objectivism:
>
> "Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He
> must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor
> sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest
> and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life."
> http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=objectivism_intro

Raunchy, such extremes of ideology never works because nature
functions within parameters.

If every cell in the body starts working only for itself, it
becomes a cancer cell.

There is a delicate balance between the individual and the
collective. This is how nature functions. This is how we
evolved into societies and then into a civilisation in the
first place.