---  "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...> wrote:

> True, politicians do pick and choose from Rand's ideas. Problem is the ideas
> they pick suit the purposes of unregulated free markets at the expense of
> everyone else. Most politicians now serve the interests of global
> corporations who own and saturate the media with Libertarian propaganda so
> that people will fear the government and vote against their own best
> interests.
>
> ---  Share Long <sharelong60@> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone who is anti abortion is by definition not a Randian.
> >
> > Anyone who is a racist is by definition not a Randian.

---  "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...> wrote:

> True.
>
> ---  Share Long <sharelong60@> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone who wants favors, tax or otherwise, for a select few is not a
> > Randian.
> >

> A "flat tax" ain't so fair either.
>
> ---  Share Long <sharelong60@> wrote:
>
> > Anyone who believes in government subsidies for business is not a Randian.
> >

> Seems to me free market Libertarians are on the same page as Rand here. They
> don't believe in much government for anything, period.
>
> ---  Share Long <sharelong60@> wrote:
>
> > She believes in freedom for everyone, not simply for the elite.

---  "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...> wrote:

> Yep. Everyone is free to pick themselves up by their own bootstraps. Trouble
> is, the elites own all the boots.
>
> ---  Share Long <sharelong60@> wrote:
> >
> > Rational self interest, as I understand it, is benevolent towards all life
> > forms.

---  "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...> wrote:

> In a perfect world where everyone is naturally altruistic and doesn't have a
> greedy bone in his or her body, Rand's vision of rational self interest might
> have some legs. On a practical level, not so much.
>
> ---  Share Long <sharelong60@> wrote:
> >
> > RD, I sense this is a topic on which we will not agree.
> >
> > Actually one of the most insightful comments about Ayn Rand was from my
> > former mother in law.  She said about Rand, "She's so far to the right,
> > she's actually on the left."

---  "raunchydog" <raunchydog@...> wrote:

> You're probably right we won't agree but it's fun playing and I appreciate
> your thoughts on the topic. Since no one else seems interested in this
> thread, I'll make one last point by posting this video and you can choose to
> respond or not.
> http://youtu.be/JMdfptJ_XA4

Latest Comments (viewers)

All one need do is to read Ayn's notes from her journal for
themselves to discover the truth of the matter. Hickman the
sadist was of no interest to her. The portion of him that
acted as "the state, " doing what was in his best interest
provided the germ of an idea for a protagonist. TYT would do
well to carefully investigate the source material in the
future. However, I'm not holding my breath as this is
patently a smear piece.

She's just permanently pissed off because her sister
emigrated back to the Soviet Union.

Obvious hit job. Cenk miss-characterizes Rand's philosophy
(even though he says it's simple, it must not be for him
because he obviously doesn't understand it), and he doesn't
give the whole story on Rand wanting to use Hickman as a
template for one of the characters in a book she never
published. Rand actually said she wanted her book's
character to be "a Hickman with a purpose. And without the
degeneracy." If you're such an honest reporter and
commentator, Cenk, why didn't you mention that?

Two wrongs don't make a right dude.

Cenk is right as far as Rand's schema being a watered-down
version of Nietzsche. Ayn Rand is admiring the personality
of psychopathy. Read Robert Hare and his psychopathy
checklist. Its very comparable to the qualities Rand bestows
upon her concept of the "superman" (another concept taken
from Nietzsche).

Of course leftists never idolize murderers and sociopaths.
Why, I doubt you could even get a T-shirt with Che
Guevara's image on it.

if you look at places where there's more capitalism (such as
hong kong), you will see that it's in those places that poor
people have the best chance of becomming wealthy. It's not
the wealth gap that has been a problem, the death of nations
usually comes from either bad economic policy that destroys
wealth(like the monetary policy in zimbawe), failure to
protect the individual from force(soviet russia), and
imperialism(in the case of rome). also corruption plays a
part