> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Speaking as a fan, and as someone who has watched
> > > the series get better and better, culminating in
> > > what will be taught in university classes of the
> > > future as The Perfect Season Of Television last
> > > year, I didn't know what to expect with the new
> > > season.
> > >
> > > I know I'm a little behind the curve here, because
> > > all of the other fans of the series got to see this
> > > new episode on Sunday, but I've been moving, and
> > > didn't get my copy until today.
> > >
> > > So how could they possibly follow up The Perfect
> > > Season Of Television?
> > >
> > > Easy. Start with the first episode of what looks
> > > like it will be The Even More Perfect Season Of
> > > Television.
> >
> >  I'm thinking the story arc of a progression from Krazy8/
> > Emilio to Tuco/Hector/& the Cousins Salamanaca to the
> > Cartel to Gustavo may continue, hence the foreshadowing with
> > the M60 in the cold opening scene to begin season 5.
> > Each opponent was another rung on the same ladder. Each, in
> > turn, much more formidable, determined, and cunning.
> >
> > I could be wrong, but red herrings haven't been a plot
> > device employed often in Breaking Bad. The linkage,
> > last season, of Gus's businesses to a multinational parent
> > based out of Germany together with his mysterious history in
> > Chile and the erasing of his past, indicates to me that
> > Walt is going to find himself facing a foe with far reaching
> > assets that somehow is connected to the lineage that began
> > with the first person Walt murdered, Krazy8.
>
> Yup. The "inexplainable season opener flashforward"
> is now a well-known device on BB. The teddy bear in
> the pool, which made no sense at all until the last
> episode of the season, etc. I suspect we won't know
> fersure why Walt is investing in such heavy iron
> until the last of these 16 episodes. And that it'll
> be a real trip getting there.

Word.

I'm down for any direction the writers wanna take it,
but my intuition tells me that we are going to find out
why the Cartel gave young Gustavo a pass when they killed
and bled out his chemist partner in the swimming pool.
It just feels like we are going to learn who it is in Chile
that Juan Bolsa with the Juarez did not wish to offend.

Or not.

I at least have faith that Vince Gilligan and his posse
aren't planning on having Walt and Jesse picked up by a
UFO or fade to black Soprano's style.

> > I can't remember ever feeling this much anticipation before
> > for a tv series. Season 1 was outstanding, but each season has
> > improved on all levels to a remarkable degree. The many unique
> > and signature touches are masterful. The nature photography,
> > the way a scene is shot from a camera mounted inside an object
> > such as a car trunk/ refrigerator/suitcase as the subject peers
> > inside, the lack of musical score in key places, the use of natural
> > and industrial background sounds instead of a composed score
> > in others, the way that minor characters are introduced and seem
> > to already have a fully fleshed-out sense of place...I could go on
> > and on.
> >
> > New Mexico is a beautiful land and truly Enchanted. I love it
> > deeply. It exists in my very spirit and I return there regularly
> > for refreshment.
>
> Gotta agree. I loved New Mexico, too. Albuquerque itself,
> not so much, but the land...magnificent.

Church.

I generally avoid ABQ completely. It always struck me as another
big uninteresting city with brown air. Might have to take a couple days
and explore the neighborhoods a bit to give it more of a chance.
September has been a good month in the past for me to begin
a NM trek. I usually find myself so Enchanted that I get lost in the moment
for a couple of months. Ideally, the weather is willing and I head over to
the North Rim of the Grandest Canyon before the concessions close then
head north into the canyon lands of southern Utah <or Utawer if yas
wanna blend in> and channel my inner Edward Abbey. It is amazing
how friendly those Mormon girls can be. "Are ya happy to see me or is
that a monkey wrench in your pocket?" I'm thinkin' its an evolutionary
thang where the impulse to bring new genes into the pool overrides local
mores.

Lucky me, but Samuel Langhorne Clemens would disagree, having once
observed:

"Our stay in Salt Lake City amounted to only two days.......
<snip> I had the will to do it. With the gushing self-sufficiency of youth
I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve a great reform here
until I saw the Mormon women. Then I was touched. My heart was wiser
than my head. It warmed toward these poor, ungainly and pathetically
homely creatures, and as I turned to hide the generous moisture in my
eyes, I said, No, the man that marries one of them has done an act of
Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind,
not their harsh censure and the man that marries sixty of them has
done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations
should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence."

Go figure.

But I digress. ;-)

> > The way the show is able to  juxtapose the natural beauty with the
> > depraved ugliness of human behavior while *making me laugh*
> > astonishes me.
> >
> > Expectations for the next 15 episodes are high. Breaking Bad has a
> > way of exceeding expectations.
>
> Well said. A member of my househould is playing "catch-up"
> on BB, and still on season 3, and I'm re-watching them with
> her. So I'm getting to bounce back and forth in time, seeing
> in season 5 the culmination of some plotline, and then the
> next night seeing it being set up way back in season 3. It
> really is a remarkable piece of television/filmmaking
> craftsmanship.

I must confess that in the 4 weeks before this season began
I re-watched the BB entire series from the beginning. I'm generally
not much of a TV guy but summers where I live are capable
of inducing a behavior pattern similar to hunkering down
in a man cave for those in an outrageously cold winter climate.
So, during daylight hours, I pull the shades, grab the remote,
enjoy the marvel that is known as the ice cube, and try not to
feel like a slug. Thinking cool thoughts, or as you would call it,
"shifting the attention", is an essential skill.

It's all choices is it not? Every summer I pick up some DVD sets
of series I have never seen but have received recommendations.
Like my perusing of FFL, I'm not often a contemporaneous kinda
cat.