On 07/25/2012 07:41 AM, Richard J. Williams wrote:

>>> Thank goodness for scientists who are coming up
>>> with the ideas to counteract, hopefully, the
>>> changes...
>>>
> Alex Stanley:
>> Well, I'm doing my part by having the MacBook play
>> the rain raga 24 hours a day.
>>
> If you love watching movies and listening to music
> at home, and you have lots of DVDs and CDs, you may
> want to build a digital system that can deliver your
> movies and music without having to physically insert
> the disk in a player in a particular room.
>
> If you're like me, you've got the records in a
> carton in the garage, the DVDs in shoe boxes, and
> the CDs on the coffee table.
>
> Sure, you can simply turn on a laptop and play a
> music file. But, what I need is a device to deliver
> all my files, the videos, photos, and the music to
> any room in my house at any time; a place to store
> the large digital video and music files such as my
> book; and a fast way to access all the files,
> streaming via wireless connectivity.
>
> If you like this idea, you'll want a fast broadband
> connection with a wireless dual-band N router. And,
> a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device connected to
> the wireless router.
>
> That way, videos, movies, TV recordings and music can
> be accessed even when your PC is off and you are away
> from your desk. All you have to do is select your
> media with a media player like a Roku box and sit
> back and relax and enjoy.
>
> With a NAS you get a great Admin Console GUI to work
> with that is intuitive and looks wonderful. Nothing
> is cryptic, and everything you want is right there
> in front of you.
>
> Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router:
> http://tinyurl.com/6wfcljy
>
> NETGEAR ReadyNAS NV+ 4-Bay (Diskless):
> http://tinyurl.com/7jour7o
>
> Read more:
> http://www.rwilliams.us/tech/

So you DO watch movies.  So why are you criticizing others who do too?
Probably getting up and down to insert a disc is a little good
exercise.  Most of the time I'm watching either Netflix or an occasional
movie on Amazon or Vudu or stuff I've recorded on my DVR.  I pick up a
disc rental occasionally at Redbox because they, like the others, get
some exclusives or have some deals for earlier releases.  For instance
last night I watched a Sony Stage6 release on DVD from Redbox starring
Luke Wilson and Sameul L Jackson called "Meeting Evil" by the director
of "S Darko".  It's good thriller but probably too violent for most the
fragile FFL souls.  It may show up on NF WI in a couple months.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1810697/

What I liked about the movie is that it will become another chronicle of
the economic collapse of the US.  Luke Wilson plays a fired real estate
agent whose own home is in foreclosure who meets a stranger played by
Jackson who takes him on a wild ride.   The opening scenes shows Wilson
driving through neighborhoods alive with foreclosure signs.  It takes
indie films like these to chronicle current events because Hollywood
wants to show people a dream world that no longer exists.

And BTW, need I remind you've I've been able to stream movies to my 53"
HDTV since 2005 when I go an AVeL Linkplayer2 which connected to my home
network.  This was before I got a Comcast DVR and was using my JVC D-VHS
HD recorder to save shows from the Comcast box (yes it would record
encrpyted shows).  The unencrypted broadcast shows I would record to a
computer and play them back through the Linkplayer which also upscaled
DVDs over component.