I'm still clearly in the "honeymoon period" w.r.t. my
new town. I just love it.

Sometimes it's the Little Things. Like how the primary
mode of transportation is the bicycle. You are actually
penalized to some extent for living in the Centrum of
Leiden and having a car. To park it, you have to get a
permit, which costs 40 Euros a quarter for the first
car, and 80 Euros per quarter for the second car. It
is a policy clearly aimed at reducing the amount of
auto traffic and presence within Leiden, and it is
clearly working.

Living here, a car is superfluous. I still have my old
but eternal Peugeot 306, but it will probably remain
sitting in its parking space for the full duration of
my first parking permit. I will probably never need it.
Everything I need is within walking or biking distance,
and both walking and biking are more fun than driving.
It's sort of a no-brainer. If this happens, and I wind
up not needing my car for a full quarter of the year,
I will most likely sell the car.

My story is kinda normal around here. Now compare it to
the story of moving to a new community in most places
in the United States. In how many of them could you
live a quality life without a car?

One of the reasons that I enjoy staying in touch with
the Fairfield community is that I sense that -- should
the shit hit the fan and autos not really be as avail-
able or affordable as they are today -- you could prob-
ably get by, and comfortably, without a car in Fairfield.

I like that in a town. I could say that about several
of the places I've lived, including tiny little Sauve,
France, or much larger Sitges, Spain, or even larger
still Santa Fe, New Mexico. It's really *neat* to live
in a town that you can live in successfully and
comfortably without a car.

All of that said, the "takeaway" I have from my walk
tonight is still the silence.

On foot, on a bicycle, or probably even in a car, this
is one of the most *silent* burbs I've ever lived in.
Whatever is going on on the surface of life -- dogs
barking, the rare car horn honking, party boats on
the river blaring tasteless music at high volumes --
*whatever*, the silence is still there.

It's like there is nothing in the environment that
can *overshadow* the silence.

I have no explanation for how this could be, only
that it seems to be.