--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 07/26/2012 12:41 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
> > I'm still clearly in the "honeymoon period" w.r.t. my
> > new town. I just love it.
> >
> > Sometimes it's the Little Things. Like how the primary
> > mode of transportation is the bicycle. You are actually
> > penalized to some extent for living in the Centrum of
> > Leiden and having a car. To park it, you have to get a
> > permit, which costs 40 Euros a quarter for the first
> > car, and 80 Euros per quarter for the second car. It
> > is a policy clearly aimed at reducing the amount of
> > auto traffic and presence within Leiden, and it is
> > clearly working.
> >
> > Living here, a car is superfluous. I still have my old
> > but eternal Peugeot 306, but it will probably remain
> > sitting in its parking space for the full duration of
> > my first parking permit. I will probably never need it.
> > Everything I need is within walking or biking distance,
> > and both walking and biking are more fun than driving.
> > It's sort of a no-brainer. If this happens, and I wind
> > up not needing my car for a full quarter of the year,
> > I will most likely sell the car.
> >
> > My story is kinda normal around here. Now compare it to
> > the story of moving to a new community in most places
> > in the United States. In how many of them could you
> > live a quality life without a car?
> >
> > One of the reasons that I enjoy staying in touch with
> > the Fairfield community is that I sense that -- should
> > the shit hit the fan and autos not really be as avail-
> > able or affordable as they are today -- you could prob-
> > ably get by, and comfortably, without a car in Fairfield.
> >
> > I like that in a town. I could say that about several
> > of the places I've lived, including tiny little Sauve,
> > France, or much larger Sitges, Spain, or even larger
> > still Santa Fe, New Mexico. It's really *neat* to live
> > in a town that you can live in successfully and
> > comfortably without a car.
> >
> > All of that said, the "takeaway" I have from my walk
> > tonight is still the silence.
> >
> > On foot, on a bicycle, or probably even in a car, this
> > is one of the most *silent* burbs I've ever lived in.
> > Whatever is going on on the surface of life -- dogs
> > barking, the rare car horn honking, party boats on
> > the river blaring tasteless music at high volumes --
> > *whatever*, the silence is still there.
> >
> > It's like there is nothing in the environment that
> > can *overshadow* the silence.
> >
> > I have no explanation for how this could be, only
> > that it seems to be.
>
> Let me guess, the city is probably fairly flat and no hills
> to climb with a bike?  Hills would sure put a damper on biking.
> It does around here.

Duh. It's a country mainly reclaimed from the sea.
Flat as a pancake. I've seen the "highest point in
the Netherlands." It's a landfill, human-created,
maybe ten stories high. :-)

> Let's face it, Europe is compact.  It's easier to do mass
> transit there and walk places.  Not so much for the good
> ol' USA.  After all it was built with a "cowboy" mentality.

True. I live within the Centrum, which is to say
within the fortress walls that surrounded the city
in the 16th century. Different mindset entirely.