Dear Share,

I think I was unclear in making my intent known to you in writing that second
letter to you. I chose to address you, because of the receptivity and
positivity that is part of your spiritual approach to persons and reality. But
I was simply taking the opportunity—this had nothing to do with you
personally—to explain how I felt that my own behaviour (when I came to
Fairfield) vis-a-vis Maharishi and MIU was not some attempt to introduce a
different teaching or technique, and therefore could not—at least from my own
point of view—be used as an example of some form of spirituality other than and
in some sense at variance with anything that Maharishi was teaching. Indeed I
made it my objective to force Maharishi to commit himself to a judgment of the
validity of the knowledge that came out of my enlightenment.

I had argued in my previous post (also addressed to you because of your
'charity'—See Saint Paul) on behalf of the enforcers of Dome policies. Now to
do this might seem unseemly, given how the officials at MIU reacted to my
seminars in Fairfield back in 1982-83. I thought the readers at FFL would
possibly make the assumption: Here is this guy defending Bevan and the actions
of Dome officials and he himself became a renegade from the purity of the
teaching, and tried to set himself up as a Guru against Maharishi. Whereas this
was decidedly not my intention or belief, even though this was the deliberate
judgment of the authorities at MIU.

There are a lot of things I regret. If a student at MIU felt, in retrospect,
they would have rather stayed away from me and completed their education at
MIU, that would indeed constitute a source of concern for me. But what was
opened up in their experience, and where most of these persons ended up, I
doubt anyone who took their chances with me feels on balance they lost rather
than gained from the experience. But this is a very complex issue. And I have
no hard data to support this conclusion.

Buck was making his case. I weighed in on the side of the authorities. This
would seem bizarre given that I was considered at the time to be the heretic
par excellence. But I never thought of opposing Maharishi in the least; I was
confident I was doing his will, and only yearned to bring about a
reconciliation with Bevan and the officials at MIU, something I knew could only
happen through the expressed judgment of Maharishi himself.

Shall I return to our big conversation, Share?  You are walking that tightrope
across Niagara Falls and it doesn't seem as if you are going to fall—and I see
no safety harness. Pretty amazing feat there, Share, baby!

Robin