This is a photo of some of the members of the cast of a new documentary
film that is getting remarkably good reviews. "I was interested in
the subject because I'm 60 and I'm fascinated by how one
reinvents oneself as one gets old in a society that's so youth
oriented," said Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, a photographer known for
his iconic portraits of the famous and infamous, from presidents to porn
stars..."

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/240523/slide_240523_1285846_fre\
e.jpg
<http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/240523/slide_240523_1285846_fr\
ee.jpg%20>

"About Face" is Timothy's documentary about former supermodels, now aged
50-81. It sounds just tremendous to me, and I'm not even a real fan of
documentaries. The subject matter *and* the subjects render its material
fascinating to me. What profession *other* than modeling involves such
occult use of power to attract and fascinate and capture attention? This
is a link to an article about Timothy and his documentary:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/27/about-face-timothy-greenfield-s\
anders_n_1711344.html#slide=1285846
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/27/about-face-timothy-greenfield-\
sanders_n_1711344.html#slide=1285846>

I haven't seen it yet, but I will, because the writeups remind me of
another of my favorite documentaries -- written, directed, and shot by
Rosanna Arquette. You've probably never heard of it, but it was called
"Searching For Debra Winger," and it was fuckin' brilliant.

The speakers in the film are mainly women, because the subject matter is
what it's like to be a beautiful woman working in one of the other
fields in which one uses occult power to attract and fascinate and
capture attention -- being an actress in the movies. In her film,
Rosanna interviews...ahem...a few interesting women, and just LETS THEM
TALK about what their lives in Hollywood have been like -- the things
they gained, the things they gave up, the difficulties of dealing with a
male-dominated industry, and the difficulties of trying to maintain a
relationship or a normal life in the midst of all of this.

The only real male speaker in the film is Roger Ebert. Rosanna took her
film crew with her to the Cannes Film Festival, where one of her sister
Patricia's films was debuting. She was interviewing actresses at the
festival and ran into Roger, whose interaction with Rosanna is blessedly
preserved in this film. She explains what she's doing, and Roger just
fuckin' GETS it. He LOVES the idea, and her for thinking of it. They
have a really charming exchange, and it is to both of their credits that
Rosanna chose to include it in the film.

The other speakers, as mentioned before, are the kinds of actresses
you'd REALLY want to meet -- not necessarily beauties you'd want to gawk
speechlessly at, but intelligent women with power, women you'd pay a
month's salary just to sit and have a conversation with over coffee.
Women like (in alphabetical order, just as they're presented in the
credits): Patricia Arquette, Emmanuelle BĂ©art, Katrin Cartlidge,
Laura Dern, Jane Fonda, Teri Garr, Whoopi Goldberg, Melanie Griffith,
Daryl Hannah, Salma Hayek, Holly Hunter, Diane Lane, Kelly Lynch,
Julianna Margulies, Chiara Mastroianni, Samantha Mathis, Frances
McDormand, Catherine O'Hara, Julia Ormond, Gwyneth Paltrow, Martha
Plimpton, Charlotte Rampling, Vanessa Redgrave, Theresa Russell, Meg
Ryan, Ally Sheedy, Adrienne Shelly, Hilary Shepard, Sharon Stone, Tracey
Ullman, JoBeth Williams, Debra Winger, Alfre Woodard, and Robin Wright.

They have much to say. Anyone who considers themselves a feminist (or a
feminist-sympathizer) and who hasn't seen this film is a slacker. The
best speakers are those who have not allowed the negativity of their
environment to produce negativity in themselves, like Salma Hayek and
Laura Dern. The whole film was IMO worth seeing just for Jane Fonda's
segment. At the time, this was the first time she'd been in front of
film cameras for over a decade, having retired from the biz. But to see
her deal with the question of what was *best* about her whole experience
in the movies is itself worth the price of admission.

"Searching For Debra Winger." Good film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-GALaD2kuE
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-GALaD2kuE>