 From: raunchydog <raunchy...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:25 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Jesus God, these horses just kill me

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, awoelflebater <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=17028
> > >
> > > Carl Hester rode the top scoring ride today for Britain. Fabulous Dutch
> > > horse. Wish I had the video to post, but alas.
> > >

> > Here ya go, Ann. NBC has videos of many events as well as live streaming.
> > Hester is masterful, Uthopia is a gorgeous horse from head to tail.
> > http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/equestrian/highlights-carl-hesters-individual-dressage-ride.html
> >
> > I'm on vacation in Michigan, just north of Oscoda on Lake Huron, haven't
> > posted much. I've been taking long walks on the shore, toes in sugar sand,
> > enjoying a nice breeze coming off the lake, just relaxing and visiting
> > family. In the evening I've had eyes glued to the Olympics, women's
> > gymnastics, swimming and beach volleyball.
> >
> > All glory to gymnast, Gabby Douglas! Fabulous! Only 4'11, just a little bit
> > of a thing, but, oh what a powerhouse. She won gold for Women's All Round.
> > Number one and best in the world. Gabby trains in West Des Moines, Iowa. My
> > granddaughter, a budding gymnast, love-love-loves her!
> >
> > Here's Gabby's winning Floor Exercise:
> > http://www.nbcolympics.com/wthr/video/gymnastics/highlight-gabby-douglas-floor-exercise-in-all-around-final.html
> >

> > The precision and years of training required of a gymnast is every bit as
> > demanding as it is for dressage, both exquisitely beautiful and thrilling
> > to watch.
>
> Dear Raunchydog,
>
> So glad there is some FFL poster who is watching the Olympics and saw the
> glorious performance of the irreisistible and celestially bouncing Gabby
> Douglas--what a beautiful creature she is. There is no form of athletics
> which asks so much as does gymnastics does--not even the Decathlon.
>
> I like that someone in the world felt the sensations that I did in watching
> Gabby's individual performance--and would communicate this on FFL.
>
> Does this mean that your granddaughter knows and trains in the same facility
> as does Gabby Douglas?

Gee, sure wish she could train in Des Moines. It's two hours from Fairfield and
super expensive. The only way to train there is to live there. Gabby moved
there from her family in Virginia Beach when she was only 14 years old.
Juliette isn't at that level of performance yet, someday maybe. She's currently
training four days a week in Fairfield. It's quite enough for now. Gymnastics
has been a wonderful self-confidence builder for her. She works hard and is
progressing nicely. We just hope she stays motivated enough to get a collage
scholarship.

Her first intra-team competition was two weeks ago. She won 1st All Around, 1st
Uneven Bars, 1st Beam, 2nd Vault and 2nd Floor Exercise. Beam video:
http://youtu.be/lNdWwl4oYpo

As you can see the Fairfield Parks and Rec gym where she trains is way too
small. Considering the limitations of the facility, I give her coach a lot of
credit for starting from scratch with just a few beginners and developing their
skills as well as he has. Links to more videos and team pictures are on
Facebook: Gymnastics Fans of Fairfield Iowa.