--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> > wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Another thing that annoys me as the amount journals charge to read
> > > papers, all you can access is the abstract and you can pay $20 for
> > > a read of the data. Should all be free to make it easier to
> > > research things.
> >
> > I agree. One could almost get the impression that the
> > researchers don't WANT people to view their actual data
> > and look into the details of their methodology, eh?
>
> One could, if one weren't aware of the fact that one
> factor in a researcher's prestige is the number of
> times his or her papers get cited in other researchers'
> papers.

the NIH requires all papers that were published using NIH grants to be
available for free online. The Brits are going one step further and requiring
ALL research (I think) to be be available free online.

If you are interested in a specific paper, it is usual cool to email the
author(s) and ask for a copy. They usually have a scanned copy sitting on their
desktop computer.

Some people have entire semi-private websites that are nothing but scanned
papers and books -their own, and/or their friends', and will give you the URL
to a specific paper so you can read it online/download it.

Many of them aren't really good at more subtle internet trivia and leave their
webpages open to google searches and if you know what you are doing, you can
find some really neat stuff (e.g. I just found a site with about 500 high-level
math books that can be downloaded -guess what I did today...)

L.