--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> In another post, Judy mentioned studying the sociology
> of religion, a subject I am hardly familiar with.

You probably meant to type "Barry" in that sentence.
I'm the one who studied and continues to study the
sociology of religion. It should be rather apparent
that Judy never has. :-)

> I was wondering if in those readings she came across
> any sociological explanations for this behaviour
> wherein an individual or group wishes to suppress
> others expressing a counter view.

Sociologists rarely deal with "explanations." Like
Buddhists in a way, they tend to deal more with pin-
pointing "that which is" than with trying to come up
with "explanations" for "how it got that way."

That said, the desire to suppress what a group con-
siders "heresy" in others is associated in sociology
with a degraded phase of the history of a group or
a religion, one in which its ascendancy is long past
and it is starting to lose members.

> Buck often talks with what I would call a religious
> style of speech, basically substituting 'unified field'
> for 'god', and from time to time makes these suggestions
> for limiting free speech. He wants to get rid of the TM-
> haters, as if he hates TM-haters, and thus is a hater
> himself. Thus he becomes just like those he would have
> removed.

I cannot disagree, having made the same point myself.

The same person who was kept out of the domes he
considers so important for being a heretic wants to
keep them off of "his" forum. Yeah, right.