All of this writing just *has* to be a book, Curtis.

The world really needs it.

<curtisdeltablues@...> wrote:

> Crowds of people are like schools of fish.  They swim by an outside
performer with the mentality of a single entity.  The trick for a busker
is to break them out of the trance so they will pay attention to me.
"Pay" is the key word here. I need them to stop their internal dialog
long enough to extract something green and crisp from their wallets and
purses.

> Bring on the children!  They are perfect for this agenda.  Easily
distracted by novel things in the environment (me and my instruments),
and lacking the intense internal dialog of having mortgage payments and
making it to their car before the meter maid, they are ideal
co-conspirators.  I invite them up with maracas so they can join the
show.  Parents get it right away, artistic enrichment for the center of
their universe.  Now that the stage is set, I have something hidden to
show you.

> She was one of those little girls with something extra, the sparkle of
magnetic charisma.  I see plenty of them coming out of the good homes in
Northern Virginia. The right schools, plenty of vitamin D enriched milk,
and tons of confidence to project a beamer of a smile full of
orthodontist approved, well-flossed teeth.  She was around eleven.  Her
brown hair was pulled into a loose pony tail by some fluorescent pink
scrunchy fabric.  The only thing out of the ordinary was that she
crowded me a bit after she got her maraca. Younger kids will do this,
and as the Mayor of Munchkin Land, it is up to me to get them to back
off and give me some performance space.  Decking one of the kids with my
heavy steel resonator guitar in one of my tip inspiring flourishes,
leaving them cold cocked on the boardwalk, would definitely cut into
profits.  But a girl this age usually keeps her distance, so it got my
attention that she was standing very close to me with one side of her
body.

> I swiveled my head and my eyes caught something that instantly put me
on red alert.  The arm she was crowding me with was cut off right below
the elbow and she was using me to shield it from the audience. Her arm
was not this way from birth.  Something sinister and terrible had done
this, and it left a fiery red zipper of violated flesh. Our eyes met and
I gave her a nod.  We were thick as thieves in an instant and she
relaxed into a nervous giggle.  Like a Sicilian made-man, I was bonded
to her through omerta.  It was a matter of trust, and I felt it in my
chest.

> We began to play close like Sonny and a miniature Cher.  People
probably thought she was my niece or something, who else would play
together with this familiarity?  Her father was all smiles.  She was a
brave kid, this is not easy performing in front of strangers. A crowd
formed supporting the cute little girl and the bluesman.  They had no
clue to the fierceness of her jagged asymmetry.  She kept herself
sideways, showing the world who she wanted to be, and they bought it. At
the song's end she shot me a conspiratorial look.  I sensed something
gritty in those eyes.  A steeliness forged by the fires of pediatric
ward hell.  I wondered about her mom and dad, who had spent the hours in
the hospital making the painful decisions that lead to this.  Oh
bullshit, I have no idea.  She ran off back to her dad.  His look
combined sincere thanks with "you have no idea". Or maybe I just read
all that in myself, it is so hard to tell sometimes. When our eyes met I
forgot to breath for a moment.  I saw people moving in with tips in slow
motion.

> Someday I hope she finds a real stand up guy.  A guy who will always
take her left side, and wrapping his arm around her far shoulder, will
press her close, feeling her arm halfway across his own back, and she
will feel safe and brave, facing the world.