Steve,

This speaks (outside this particular context) of whether or not we ever are
doing someone a favor by conferring on them guru status.  At first the payoff
seems obvious, they get rich, and if they are so inclined, they get their pick
of some high end tail.  But unless they really have the narcissist or
psychopathic tendency strongly, somewhere there is a disconnect between the
image projected on them and who they know they are inside.

Of course every performer can catch a taste large or small of this tendency for
people to project qualities on them that the person lacks in themselves.  With
the fear of public speaking giving a fear of death a run for its money by the
numbers, whenever a person projects confidence in addressing a group, some apes
will raise their paws and hoot "please be our leader, you are so confident and
I feel kind of squirrelly".  I have read that one quality in many great actors
is an unusually high level of personal charisma, they can really "put it out
there".  Even in my world I have grown in my ability to beam at people while
feeling relaxed.  Practice makes perfect.  It is easy for people to read more
into this than what it is.

But add the toxic fuel of a disturbed personality and you get...well we all
know examples of this freak show from history.  But what about the more
ordinary guy.  I am inclined to put Maharishi in this category. I believe his
guru cloak was woven over time.  Eventually it overwhelmed his personality.
That is what makes Judith's book such a revelation in humanizing him.  You can
see that he didn't seem to come in with a full blown master complex.  Around
the time of announcing his World Government from his Liberace inspired fantasy
palace in Seelisberg, it was all guru and very little Mahesh left.  Soon he
excommunicated those who knew him before, favoring yes men eunuchs whose
ambiguous sexuality and pasty complexions would never be a challenge to his
supreme reign.  Checking our penises at the door like guns at an old west
saloon, we minced into his presence, deferentially, adoringly, and emasculated.
Certainly no one would stand up and say something like "Excuse me Maharishi,
but what you just said doesn't make sense and contradicts something you said
before..."

I have spent some time on this site analyzing this all from the standpoint of
how it affected us.  But what was this doing to him?  Most of the time it is
hard to care about the billionaire guru.
But his "disciples" project on to them all our insecurities and then drive them
into a state of assholyness because humans either have to be deranged  to begin
with to want to be a guru, or the adulation itself twists them into an
unpleasant kind of human who swings between believing their own kiss-ass press,
and knowing that at any time someone might stand up and say: "the emperor has
no clothes."

And I know that this swims upstream in the current of people who believe that
some people are actually more realized than others. however you want to define
it.  And to some degree I am on board with that except where they drift into
ontological presumptions about ultimate reality where IMO humans have the worst
possible track record due to a design flaw that makes it easy for us to believe
a bunch of shit that isn't true if it is presented with real whipped cream (not
that plasti-crap sold in spray cans which are only good for sucking the nitrous
out of if there is nothing good on TV) and a real marinated cherry you have
soaked in some spirit yourself instead of those horrible faux maraschino
cherries that blaspheme one of natures most delicious fruits.

Where was I...oh yeah, following gurus makes your dick fall off (ladies will
have to speak for themselves on what it does to them) and it turns the object
of your guru worship into a money grubbing sari chasing butthole, who cries
themselves to sleep every night in a lonely pile of hundred dollar bills, while
only receiving the minimal consolation of the comfort of the three pairs of
perky globes of bliss on the Playboy centerfold TRIPLETS who share their beds.

Who would wish that on anybody?