> On 9/2/05 9:09 AM, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >> Keep in mind you have numerous HOSPITALS which lost electricity
and
> >> some are completely surrounded by water. In such a situation,
these
> >> people will take first priority to people standing around.
> >
> > No, sorry, but there's no damn reason why
> > evacuating hospital patients should mean an
> > inability even to do an air-drop of water and
> > food to the people who are "standing around."
>
> Unfortuantely for those people, their city, who knew quite well the
problems
> with the low-lying area (in their own city), were very poorly
prepared for
> their own, already known location issues. The nature of politics
demands
> that these NOLA and LA. Politicians now blame someone else.

No, no, no.  You're not getting it.  It isn't a
matter of "blaming," it's a matter of getting the
feds to ACT in a halfway effective manner.

> Now the poor pay the price.
>

> >> You also have to consider the basic nature of
> >> triage--the people who are in imminent danger are going to get
first
> >> attention and the people standing around who are merely displaced
> >
> > You aren't paying attention.  They aren't "merely
> > displaced," they haven't had any food for days and
> > some of them are dying of dehydration.  There are
> > people among them who are just as sick and in need
> > of emergency medical attention as those who are
> > being evacuated from hospitals.
>
> What you have to understand is access will be blocked to these
> areas. For example, even the Red Cross will be barred from entering
> an area with known violence.

According to the reporters who've actually been
to the Convention Center, the people who are
"standing around" outside are no threat.  They've
even tried to pick up some of the litter and clean
the area up in an attempt to look more respectable.

> Their have and will continue to be drops.

Not at the Convention Center, not yet.  One truck
went by and dumped out some supplies from one of
the highway overpasses, most of which were destroyed
when they hit the ground.  Some of the people waiting
volunteered to go pick up the supplies directly from
the truck and bring them back, and they were waved
off with guns.

What they got was just a drop in the bucket.

> People are being bussed out and
> will continue to be.

The police and National Guard were telling folks
to go to the Convention Center because there would
be buses there to take them out.  This was on
WEDNESDAY.  Nary a bus there yet.

> Unfortunately they aren't going to risk flying into an area and
> losing important rescue crafts and lives if people are shooting at
> them! This was a huge part of the recent problem. Why on earth were
> they shooting at their own rescuers? This shifted the whole tone
> and tenor of the operation. The message sent to the rescuers: come
> and get us, but we might be shooting at you!

As somebody observed, if New Orleans had been
invaded by Iraqi insurgents, there would have
been an instant and massive effort to go in
and subdue them, or at least keep them away
from areas where they could interfere with
the rescues.

Sending in large numbers of military and law
enforcement types to keep order should have been
one of the very first things done.  Now it's out
of control.  Very similar to what happened in
Iraq after the invasion.

<snip>
> > Bullshit.  The incompetence of the feds is
> > happening NOW, and people are dying as a
> > result.
>
> LOL, you're clueless.

River in Egypt.  Unbelievable.