The Dutch have a different relationship to the rain than most people
I've met. They don't just coexist peaceably with it like the people in
Oregon and Washington do; they get in the rain's face, and allow it to
get in theirs.

I'm not Dutch yet. I have an umbrella. Duh. It's a moderate rain, coming
down hard enough so that if I didn't have it, I'd be soaking wet within
a few blocks. But easily seven out of ten of the people I pass on my
walk don't have umbrellas. Many of them aren't even wearing any kind of
rain gear. They're just in the mood for a walk, that's all. The fact
that it's raining has no bearing on that mood.

Wussy umbrella or not, I'm enjoying the walk.

Part of it, I realize, is the light.

The Netherlands in October is kinda grey. Many of the days are overcast,
producing a predominantly grey ambient light. I live with a painter, who
has taught me to recognize the color of the light I'm using to see with,
and how the color of that ambient light influences my perception of
other colors. The grey light of Fall and Winter changes the way things
look. That change may explain a lot about Dutch painters, and why so
many of their paintings look as if the painter could use a hit of Xanax.
:-)

But when it rains things get all glisteny, and the grey light transforms
into silver light.

Remember on those boat rides we all used to live for how Maharishi would
point out at the full moon reflecting on the lake, and say that this
silver light had the qualities of soma, and we'd all go "Oooooooooo?"
That kinda silver light.

Everything looks different when using that light to see with. It's a
nicer ambient light, and it transforms everything and makes it even more
glisteny.

I'm just stopping in this cafe to have a coffee and write this down
before I forget it. Then I'll walk home. On the way back, I may not even
use my umbrella. One more baby step in the direction of becoming Dutch.