On 10/14/2012 10:22 AM, authfriend wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:
> <snip>
>> And then I'll be in the middle of doing some when some
>> application or Windows itself pops up a message saying that
>> an update is available taking way the focus in the window
>> where I may be typing.  I could wring those developers necks
>> for that.
> Huh, that doesn't happen on my Win7 machine.

They're called balloon tips and maybe someone turned them off for you.
There are ways to do that but it needs to be much easier.  And from a
programming standpoint they shouldn't be allowed to take away the focus
when you are typing in a pane.  They time out.  I did once try some
different settings on Windows 7 but didn't like them so set it back to
default.  The other part is the machine may sit unused for over a week.
It's mainly used for those 3D animations I make for YouTube and other
video editing.  Very little programming is done on it because I can do
most everything except Windows specific on Linux.

>> On Linux a little icon up
>> in the top back will notify you if there are updates and
>> not get in the way at all.
> My machine puts an icon on the taskbar when new updates
> are available. I have to remember to look for it.

Yes it does that too and probably all it needs to do.  They are SO
concerned about granny not taking security measures on her machine that
they feel the need to put up the balloon tips.