> on 9/5/05 7:59 AM, TurquoiseB at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >> I think I heard that here in Fairfield there are 400 houses on
> >> the market. I don¹t know how many apartments for rent. I¹m going
> >> to check. I imagine that around the entire country there are
more
> >> than enough empty houses and apartments to accommodate all the
> >> Katrina refugees. Seems to me some sort of government funding
> >> should be set up to compensate the owners and landlords of these
> >> houses and apartments, and people should be moved from the
> >> Astrodome and church basements. Any thoughts on this idea?
> >
> > It's not a bad idea.  If something could be done to ease
> > the minds of the homeowners w.r.t. possible damage to their
> > homes, it might even wind up saving them money.  It costs
> > far more to insure an empty home waiting to be sold than
> > a home that is occupied.
>
> It may be that a majority of these refugees are poor, but they're
> not street people. Most of them you see interviewed on TV are
> good, decent folk who wouldn't trash a home or apartment and would
> be very grateful for a decent place to live.

I know that and you know that, but we're dealing with a
country that actually believes what it sees on television.
And what it's seen on television lately doesn't exactly
encourage a homeowner to turn his empty house over to
someone who has survived Katrina.  I'm just saying that
to combat the distorted public image of the refugees that
has been caused by the actions of a few, some "re-education"
would probably have to take place, along with, say, discounts
on the donor's homeowners insurance.