> on 9/5/05 8:31 AM, uns_tressor at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>
> >> It's not a bad idea.  If something could be done to ease
> >> the minds of the homeowners w.r.t. possible damage to their
> >> homes, it might even wind up saving them money.  It costs
> >> far more to insure an empty home waiting to be sold than
> >> a home that is occupied.
> >
> > These quantities are a start but not enough. Is there
> > any vacant land that might be available? If so, how
> > about a project based on new environmentally sensible
> > methods like strawbale and rammed earth techniques? Viz:
> > http://www.strawbale.com/
> > http://www.rammedearthworks.com/
> > Uns.
>
> Good idea for the long run. But we're talking now. Empty houses
> and apartments all over the country (and Canada?). A quarter of a
> million refugees in Texas alone. Let any of us spend a week on a
> cot in the astrodome and see how we like it.

Personally, Rick, I think this is a great idea.  It sounds
to me like the people to implement it are *realtors*. They
are the ones who would know what houses/apartments were
available, and be able to contact the owners to propose
such an idea.  If anyone sells real estate, especially in
Texas or other areas near the affected areas, this sounds
like an idea that could actually be implemented and do a
lot of good.