This is a dialog that is from a very old thread on AMT
https://groups.google.com/group/alt.meditation.transcendental/browse_thread/thread/5c398dd9868e264e/f18a119c907c5ad0?hl=de&lnk=gst&q=warning+light#f18a119c907c5ad0
There are at least 3 of the posters here now. Interesting, as our mutual
relationship was quite different then. You can see that I am friendly with
Barry AND Judy at the time, but on this issue happen to agree more with Barry.
Interesting also, because I can see in it a pattern that becomes even more
clear now, after about 10 years, which is the pattern of AVOIDANCE I can see
with a certain poster here. Here is my summary:

Shmendrik: I recently attented a lectcher by a great spiritual master who came
into the hall with this beaming smiling look on his face (which he had obviusly
practised in front of a miror) sat down and right off said we were already
enlightened so I got up intending to leave thinking that was the end but
noticed every body else just kept sitting there so I sat back down. It reminds
me of when I was taking a airplane flight and we had to land becase of a
malfuncton but after they said the plane was fine it was just the malfuntion
indicater that was malfunctioning you see? there was nothing wrong wiht the
plane. Its like that with us isn;'t it? it's just this warning light on our
dashboard keeps coming on saying thers something wrong but its only something
wronf with the warning light .

Judy: Right, Melvin, but you have to fix the warning light.

Shmendrik: why?

Judy: Beeeeeecoz it says there's something wrong when there ain't. You could
also disable it, or have it removed.

Shmendrik: The mere ideas: 'fix', 'disable' or 'remove' ensure that the warning
light stays on. It works so totally counter-intuitively that any and all
strategies to fix it, cause it to stay on. To do anything is to fail. To do
nothing is to fail.

Me: Judy, I think the 'warning light' here is a symbol of the mind not being
satisfied with what is. The warning light is constantly stirring up the mind,
and is therefore the real problem. The warning light is an inbuilt tendency of
the mind, to always want something, to actually project the Self out into the
future. To fix the warning light would not really help, because its rather just
adding to this mental tendency. Wanting to fix itself is the real problem. But
thats of course not so easy.

IOW we always want a remedy. The whole New Age is built on this, to get a quick
fix. But if someone says, there are no remedies, you will say, that doesn't
help me, I want a remedy. In this way, one stays in a loop. Why not just try to
live a normal life, and not get anywhere spiritually specifically? I mean its
okay, to meditate, and do all that, because its relaxing and enjoyable. But as
it is, we built a whole world of expectations on it. We don't just simply live,
no we are 'meditators', 'spiritual' etc. Just imagine you are enlightened, and
there is nothing left to do anymore. What would you do?