 From: awoelflebater <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 8:54 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: 12-12-2012

> Oh no no no no no no! If you have had sweet potato pie that is
> indistinguishable from pumpkin pie, you have not had real sweet tater pie.

I must admit I was imagining that sweet potato pie and pumpkin could be cousins
but I have never had sweet potato pie, but I ADORE sweet potatoes (not yams).

> First, you have to use real sweet taters, NOT yams - one of the best to use
> are white fleshed sweet taters like an O'Henry.
>
> Now a lot of the old homemakers used the 1950's type recipe with added sugar
> and evaporated milk - but if you get good sweet taters you don't need added
> sugar - just bake 'em, cool 'em, peel 'em and mash them add a little mile or
> soy milk and if you need sweetener you can add some sugar or stevia, I liked
> green stevia, but that give an unusual taste (I like it, a lot of people
> don't)

Oh you little home maker you, oh yeah, you are a professional BAKER, now I
remember! I love you already.

> Pumpkin pie really depends on the spices - sweet tater pie is usually just
> spiced with cinnamon and maybe a dab of nutmeg - if you add the other
> traditional pumpkin pie spices it will wind up tasting like pumpkin pie.

See, I knew they could resemble one another under the right circumstances. Kind
of like tofu, it takes on whatever flavour you add to it.

> Its all kind of moot for me in the past 6 years or so since my body decided
> to have type 2 diabetes, but I do have the memory.

Big bummer, that.

> If you and your husband ever come to South Carolina I will be happy to make
> you a real sweet tater pie.

I will definitely take you up on that. We have been meaning to get down that
way one of these days, beautiful and historical.

> By the way, you have in some of your kind comments about my writing, referred
> to my experiences with TM - what were yours? I mean how long did you do TM
> and what was your affiliation with the TMO, if you don't mind me asking?

Very simply I was initiated in 1970 when I was 14 years old. My oldest sister
was a teacher and she initiated the whole family. I meditated until I was about
29 years old at which time I pretty much stopped. I did attend MIU from 1976
until 1980 when I graduated. My oldest sister (the who initiated me) was a
professor in the English dept. and my brother in law (Peter Erskine), married
to my oldest sister, was dean of faculty and taught in the art dept. My middle
sister was an initiator as well and was an art major and her boyfriend also
taught at MIU, his name was Jim Weidle. He got a little bit famous for his
watercolours later on.