Wow that poster in NYC proved it really IS the Age of Enlightenment.  Thanks
for posting that.

I just finished a book I've been chewing on for a while called "What Makes the
Brain Happy and Why You Should Do the Opposite".  Among our cognitive biases is
our very strong unconscious one to assign a conscious agency behind random
events.  Some neuro scientists believe it is from the evolutionary advantage of
always assuming a twig snap is a tiger cuz if you are wrong, so what, but if
you are right...

We do it automatically telling ourselves an instant story to explain that
events not only had meaning, but that they were directed by an outside
conscious agency.  It is one of the reasons religious explanation feels so
right to people.  Deeply right.  Irrefutably right. Just so damn right!

But in studying the specific ways that we have cognitive gaps and biases we can
begin to transcend our predisposition for taking the stories we create
seriously without viewing them in a more artistic light.

I am a fan of the mythology of Christmas with its images in the same nostalgic
way I enjoy It's A Wonderful Life each year.  When it gets weird is when a
beautiful artistic myth is taken to be a factual truth about ultimate reality.
It wasn't built for that, which is why it is so easy to satirize.

Speaking of that I was considering how consensual the whole Holy Ghost hook-up
was back in the day...I mean if a boss comes on to an employee we cry foul and
bust him for coercion. I think the whole Mary story is ripe for a feminist
retelling as a tragedy. What choice did she really have when the creepy uncle
of the Triune God made a play for her?  Did he during what must have been a
fairly clumsy seduction remind her of what he did to the dinosaurs, or was it
like the greatest Justin Bieber concert display but in the end he takes her
back to the dressing room?  Did he at least let her finish or was it just a
typical wham bam thank you mam?  Did she feel obliged to fake it to sooth his
monstrous ego. "Oh baby, that was divine!"

These are the questions that swirl around my head as I gaze on my nativity.
Did Mary know what he son was headed for when she signed up her uterus for this
project, or was it presented like a Hollywood script with a lot of pages at the
end with TBD at the top?  Did her youth and inexperience, her cultural
deference to men limit her ability to ask how it all ends before she signed on?
 What if she had told him she had a headache that night, would he have been a
gentleman?

And having been around a few babies in my time, when Mary changed his diaper
did even the Oxen rear up their heads and lumber out of the manger grunting
"damn that holy guacamole is nasty!"