Mike,

If the Republicans let the Bush Tax Cut expire, many voters will be angry.  I
would expect many of the Republicans will be voted out in the next
congressional elections.  Stay tuned.

As Bernanke has warned, there is the possibility that the increase in taxes to
the middle class will negatively affect the economy.  There could very well be
another recession.

However, the stock market appears to be holding its own during the past few
days' activities.  Maybe the market has already calculated the effects of the
"fiscal cliff" controversy. We'll know the answer for sure on New Year's day.

JR