> Beautifully and cogently expressed - yet if these things are true, how do you
> account for the fact that the behavior of the long term TM practitioners who
> run and administrate the TM movement does not reflect the energy or essence
> of the purity of consciousness that is supposedly expressed by the
> enlightened or near enlightened? How do you account for people like Mark
> Landau and Rory Goff who report what many would feel are fabulous experience
> of awareness in essence falling back to a normal "waking state" of
> consciousness?
>
> I have gotten to the point that I think even just the plain old TM technique
> doesn't do what it is hyped to do - just my opinion. But I think it is a
> valid and necessary step to look at the results of a technique or practice in
> those who do it. The TMO consistently says this is the glory to come, pay no
> attention to what reality actually is, pay attention to what we SAY reality
> is. They have always dealt in futures and never delivered promised results.

That certainly is a valid criticism. Coming across an 'awakened' TM meditator
seems very rare. It seems like those that wake up in a rather short time are
those that throw their entire lives into it, and do not sit around waiting for
enlightenment to be done for them. These people are curious, they question what
is happening in the process all the time, and do not assume it will
automatically happen, even if somehow this is the way it actually happens. For
example if you focus on getting the experience of transcendental consciousness,
and that is it, you are aiming at the bottom of the barrel of enlightenment.
Aim for unity right from the start. What is it? Why should I go for it? What do
you have to do or not do to get there? Is this the only way? A religion tries
to keep you in a straight jacket so you do not vary from the path. But there
really is not path. If you are hiking, you can step off the trail and see what
happens. I think an experimental attitude is needed. What if things do not seem
to be happening. What would happen if I meditated longer? Try and see what
happens. I did that and initially the results were not so good. But later on I
found I could meditate for much longer times without any ill effect. Things
that did not work, I dropped. Spiritual movements tend to have a lot of magical
thinking, but it is nuts and bolts thinking that get things done in the world.

It seems as if those that end up running a spiritual movement after the
'master' dies (and in some movement when the master is still around) are the
ones that like to bask in the glow of the master's presence rather than their
own being (not the ego, I should add). You need a certain amount of autonomy -
self respect, and self reliance. This is eschewed in hierarchical movements.
Being is everywhere the same, no one owns it. It is totally without ownership,
so anyone can have it, since from the beginning they do have it. There are no
levels to it. We all have some screws loose somewhere in our lives, these are
the things that inhibit us in this search. Some of us have lots more loose
screws than others. Maybe they gather at the top of the hierarchy, where desire
for power and control is given the greatest opportunity for expression.

If you look at the technique of TM, and at some mindfulness techniques, the
process is to minimise control, to let go as much as possible, finding a way to
let go rather than hold on. A spiritual movement, by simply the desire to
persist inevitably invites the exact opposite value to that of letting go. It
is doomed from the beginning, so to get value from a spiritual movement, you
have to get in on its initial surge, and then, probably, get out. And keep
seeking as long as the desire to seek persists. Keep curious. I made the
mistake of too blindly following recommended instructions for too long. Now, if
a person is very innocent and devoted, they might make the 'journey' quickly. I
think people like that are kind of rare. There is usually a mix of devotion and
ambition and other qualities that make for a really bumpy ride.

Once, I was on the MIU campus, and there was an open office door, and two
administrators were talking about shakeups in the movement. They were
discussing they did not want to be 'left behind', they wanted to at least
maintain their position in the movement, or get even a higher position. Some
people gravitate to this kind of authority and some do not, but I think those
who do are not necessarily about letting go. There is holding on to something.
We all have this tendency, but in spirituality, it tends to inhibit rather than
promote our progress if it persists too long.

Enlightenment is not a future event. The future is never now. Wearing down this
anticipation is one of the reasons meditation, the kinds of meditation that
foster letting go, help with. The intellectual environment, the emotional
environment one is faced with is also important, I think. I feel you hit the
nail on the head with the movement's focus on the future, its emphasis on
future changes. All those emergency fixes for why the things are not going so
well. Being is unbounded. It is everywhere the same. So it is in your face all
the time. You do not have to face a particular direction to have it. The focus
on benefits rather than enlightenment of the unity kind undercuts the purpose
of adopting a spiritual stance toward life. The whole of life contains many
bitter pills, and they come with the good stuff, one has to face them all with
a perception of equality, and without mindless (that is unreflective) judgment.

One of my relatives (now deceased for over thirty years), very old, over 90,
learned TM. This person, born in the 1880s seemed to meditate correctly, but
would have trouble with trivial thoughts. This person would say 'I want to be
told what to do!' Just did not get it. No curiosity. I have often thought the
TMO should have the cow for its symbol. It's vegetarian. It travels in herds.
It is not very curious about its environment. It is fairly docile. And you can
milk it every day.