I apologize for the unpleasant post. I enjoyed my time in the TMO. I was only
full-time in the movement for five years, when I was on faculty at MIU. I never
felt cheated or exploited by the movement or the university. They gave me a job
when I needed one. They trusted me enough to put me in charge of students. They
gave me a lot. Looking back on it, those days were some of the best of my life.
I knew what the movement was like, of course, but my little corner of it was
fine. I never did anything unethical and was never asked to. We had some
terrific students back in those days, and some amazing class discussions
(uncensored, I might add). It was intellectually stimulating and emotionally
rewarding. I never cared for the excessive bureaucracy or the movement
hardliners, but by and large they left me alone to do my thing. As far as
promises are concerned, as a TM teacher I taught hundreds of people to meditate
and I never promised them enlightenment in 3-6 years. No one ever told me to
say that. I never heard it in movement circles, either. And for the promises of
levitating, I never thought that was the point of it. What mattered was the
bliss that got stirred up when you did the flying siddhi. So I never expected
to "fly," although I have to say, there is a rush of upward-flowing energy when
you do the flying sutra that used to give me a definite feeling of the body
wanting to rise up.