--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chivukula" <chivukula.ravi@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog"  wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Ravi Chivukula chivukula.ravi@
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Happy New Year to everyone at FFL. I'm currently vacationing in
> India with my family - mother, sisters and their families - I have
> pictures to share here, starting with the picture here.
> > >
> > > http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/photos/73243621@N07/8332978823/
> > >
> > > I spent major part of the evening visiting temples what with my
> brother-in-law, my older sister's husband being a staunch, traditional
> Brahmin. I have had lot of fun so far visiting India after 4 and half
> years.
> > >

> > Happy New Year, Ravi and to FFLife. I hope it's a fantastic year for
> everyone. Mom's Hindu gods, gurus and home cooked treats are a
> delightful taste of India. Thanks.
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/midnightinfinite/3154768441/
> >

> Thanks dear raunchy - happy new year to you, Juliette and your family as
> well. Even though I still I am not necessarily a follower of Hindu
> religion - that is don't perform pujas, mantras, worship or keep any
> pictures of any Hindu Gods I enjoyed my visit to temples for the first
> time in my life - because of a new found love for the metaphors,
> symbolisms of Hindu gods, goddesses and worship. The only reason I went
> and participated was because my brother-in-law whom I have respected as
> my elder sister's husband insisted on it and would keep calling me to
> get the prasad, blessings and such - it was fun !!!

Maybe living amongst the heathens in the USA gave you an outsider's perspective
on your cultural roots. Sacred cows are no longer literally sacred cows. It
must feel liberating to have dropped the emotional, intellectual baggage
associated with religion so that you can now visit a temple, get smudged with
kumkum and wear it as well as the next guy with no one the wiser.