Well, I'm not sure if anything could be more subjective than rating BBQ
places.  Most BBQ I've ever had has been good.  Pappy's was the
successor to Super Smokers here.  When we were in Colorado, and Aspen,
we ate at the Hickory House.  Their deal is that their ribs come from
from Denmark,  from pigs who are fed only tulips.  They are  tasty.
Then one time in Memphis, I ate at Corky's which, at least at that time,
was their signature BBQ place.

We honeymooned in North Carolina, (many years ago) and it was fun to eat
at some of the hidden away BBQ places they had there.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@... wrote:

> Pappy's, eh? Great - I'll look them up!
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray27" wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I'll chime in and brag a little. Pappy's BBQ, rated number one
by Zagat is in close proximity to our business. And in fact today, they
came by unanounced and provided lunch, free, to all our employees. Turns
out I had a lunch app't with another customer, but there was enough left
over for me to bring home for the family.

> > We were one of their vendors when they first opened, and we got to
know the owner. Since then they've catered our Christmas party and some
birthdays we celebrate and they never charge us.

> > In exchange, we try to offer them some of our services gratis, but
they are far more generous to us than we are able to be to them.

> > BTW, I had lunch at Sybergs which is known for their mustard based
chicken wings. I love them.

> > http://www.zagat.com/r/pappys-smokehouse-st-louis
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@ wrote:
> > >
> > > You definitely have more history with it than I do, though I
enjoyed it a lot, all the same.

up with the mustard base sauces for pork and chicken - a place that
still exists called Wise's Barbeque - established back in the 1930's - I
never knew about tomato based sauces till I was probably a teenager - I
liked that too, especially on beef and chicken, but I never could get a
taste for that nasty vinegar based Eastern North Carolina stuff that is
essentially vinegar, sugar of various kinds and peppers - nasty nasty
stuff but lots of people swear by it - I just swear at it. I still love
the mustard based sauces the best.

central NC, tin roof and cooking pork - next to a dirt airstrip, where
several vintage aircraft were doing touch and gos - good pulled pork
BBQ, too - tangy red sauce, up there.

good stuff like the practice of using cows to bar-b-que instead of hawgs
like we do here in South Carolina. I like that bar-b-que beef sometimes,
tho it doesn't go too well with the mustard based bar-b-que sauce that
is traditional here.