--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:
(snip)
> It was the way Alan Waite said it in the film that raised
> my hackles. Anytime someone says repeating the mantra,
> making it sound like the hammering of a nail, I cringe.
> Perfect way to ruin a subtle process.

I agree. It's such a subtle point, though, that you can't
really expect nonpractitioners to pick up on it. Even
new practitioners often don't get it. That's why checking
is so important.

I've heard TM teachers say--quoting Maharishi, I believe--
that TM isn't about holding onto the mantra, it's about
*losing* the mantra. Of course it isn't "about" that
either in the sense that one *tries* to lose the mantra,
but it's a little closer.