--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu  wrote:

> On 01/30/2013 12:52 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
> >
> > "The Killing" was SO much better in its Danish original
> > that it makes the American remake pale by comparison,
> > and I actually *liked* the remake...for what it was.
> >
> > The best TV series I saw last year, "The Bridge," or
> > "Bron/Broen," also from Denmark, looks as if it will
> > never get an American release. Instead they are going
> > to remake it. I shudder to imagine the result. Both
> > of these series were *enormous* hits in the UK,
> > although subtitled.
> >
> > The thing is, the American networks somehow believe
> > that Americans are too stupid to follow even the Brit
> > accents in English-language UK series (and they might
> > be right), so they remake *them*, too. This one ("Utopia")
> > is quite interesting, at least judging by the first
> > episode that I just watched. You'd really enjoy it. A
> > pity that it will probably be remade for the US market
> > as well...
>
> The American general public unless it's PBS or BBC America
> can't tolerate accents much at all. So the remakes. Yup,
> dumbing down for the stupid. They don't like subtitles
> either so "The Killing" got a remake.

People are going to think I'm being cynical when I
say this, but I really don't think I am. I believe
that the primary reason that subtitled movies have
lost their market in the US is that many Americans,
as many as 50-60%, simply can't read well enough
or fast enough to enjoy a subtitled movie.

> They also don't like dubbing which is kinda funny as they
> denounce 1970s Italian films not knowing that all languages
> including Italian got dubbed so they didn't need to stomp
> carpenters on the adjacent set to stop hammering why they
> shot a scene. The money is to be made on the stupid when
> it comes to advertising.
>
> However some of the foreign languages and UK series do
> wind up on Netflix.

Lucky for you that they are. Some of the best UK
series, not to mention Danish and Swedish, that I've
seen in the past few years have still never appeared
on US TV (or even on DVD/BR, according to my friends),
except as remakes.

The French cop series I talked about recently, "Braquo,"
is headed for a remake, too, which means that Americans
will miss out on some *superb* performances by the
French actors.

I'll bet that there hasn't even been an American release
of one of the best UK series of past years, "The Shadow
Line," right?