{snip} I would hate to be forced to use Emily as a human shield; she may
not be as clueless as I am, but I'm sure she's a lot more cynical (smiley face).

Dear Bob, my "shield of human-ness" has taken a lot of hits of late and I am
trying on a new reality - that of emulating Share's approach to me and all
others' she has determined are exhibiting negativity - particularly of the
nasty and sniping variety.  I found this treasure tonight (under the heading
Auric Shield) on an internet healing site, so I know that it has a lot of
"street cred."  Share has mastered this technique and I think she may have
written these exact words, in fact (the ones in the first paragraph.)

What this means is for me is: no more attempts to creatively insult; no more
cynicism or irony; no helping others help themselves with pseudo-insightful
observations; no more self-serving, creepy humor.  Now, you must realize, I've
been practicing and learning all these important skills right here, but I have
seen the gemstone of therapeutic wonderment and have had a change of being.

The "heart on the sleeve" shield I have been using is covered in blood spatter
and must go in for repair; the breaches in my security resulted in dramatics of
grandiose proportions over the holidays (Share, poor woman, had to weather the
bulk of my distress); I have been kicked out of the inner circle of my favorite
cute (I mean "cult") leader, who has apparently retired to the sandy beaches of
somewhere for more introspection.

I am going to visualize an auric shield, as described below (paragraph 2) and
go forth into the wide world of wonderfulness; it is an apt consequence to my
many irritating digressions from love and logic that FFL so patiently and
compassionately allowed me to display, as I flailed and wallowed my way back,
these past 2 years, to a state where I believe that I may be able to "act as
if," if the knowingness of my first person ontology fails me at any given time.

My astrological chart tells me that February is the month for me to move to the
front lines, go where the action is, feel the fear and do it anyway, take up
drawing, unpack the clothes, become accountable, raise my standards, take care
of business, etc., etc., etc.

I guess I say all this to say that my recovery from cluelessness and cynicism
is likely to be of painfully long duration, but I am confident that my auric
shield will protect us both, and I promise that "when you call my name, I will
be there" (I do tend to run a bit late, but I'll work on that too), to distract
and dramatize as needed.  Love, Emily.

"AURIC SHIELD

I have been working on the ability to remain unaffected by and not absorb
negative words or negative energies of other people.
One way I have been doing this is by simply not responding to comments that
annoy me. By not dignifying the comment with a reply or a defense, I can keep
my stress levels lower. Of course, this is not easy, and it takes a lot of
practice!"

The other way is through creating an auric shield. To do this, I imagine my
aura growing, expanding, and sparkling. It is a protective bubble that I
envision, through which negativity simply cannot penetrate."