The first year I ever filed a schedule C tax return was for 1972.  I got
audited by the IRS because I didn't know what I was doing.  I appealed
and got some of the extra tax off including a pissed supervisor who
probably went back and wrung the neck of my first caseworker for not
allowing deductions for show costumes.  The IRS recommended I use an
accountant.  A friend I knew through TM recommended his accountant.
Those guys started out in a small office near downtown Seattle and wound
up in a suite in the tallest building. By that time my prep fee was
$600.  Too much so that's why I switched to someone local since I had
moved from Seattle to the SF Bay Area.

I hate our tax system.  It's like they expect everyone to be a
bookkeeper.  But we know that only a small percentage has the mindset
for that.  I'm all with simplifying our tax system but that is a hard
task and too many (mainly CPAs) make money off it. I would just use one
of the software packages but would probably blow that.   Half the time
I'm not even sure of the terms on the worksheets the account sends.

Nadi astrology system: 9 years for each planet starting with the Sun,
Moon....