--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:

> I doubt you've even heard of it in the US unless you read
> the UK version of Huffington Post or some other British
> rags,

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/world/europe/lasagna-products-test-positive-for-horsemeat-in-britain.html

http://tinyurl.com/b4z9zfw

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/09/world/europe/horse-meat-in-food-stirs-furor-in-british-isles.html

http://tinyurl.com/aqmmaxh

 but one of the big scandals there right now is the
> discovery of...uh...unexpected meats in meat dishes and
> even in hamburger.

Horsemeat is cheaper. It appears to have been coming
from Europe, but they haven't tracked it down yet.

More than you want to know about horse slaughter here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_slaughter