--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:
<snip>
> The best (or at least most important to us) of these
> neurological misconceptions is the last in the list: The
> mind and the brain are the same thing described in
> different ways and they make us who we are.

You genuinely aren't aware that this is *the* most
controversial proposition on this list of supposed
misconceptions? The writer--a neuropsychologist--
is certainly aware of it. For him to proclaim that
"the mind and the brain are the same thing described
in different ways" as if it were established fact is
absurd (and possibly deliberately deceptive). He may
*wish* it were established fact because he believes
in it so strongly, but the relationship of mind to
brain is an extremely perplexing issue about which
there are many passionate opinions and nothing
remotely like a consensus, nor, as yet, any promising
approach to nailing down the truth.

> Trying to suggest one causes the other is like saying
> wetness causes water.

I doubt anyone has ever "tried to suggest" that the
mind causes the brain. To say the brain causes the
mind is more reasonable, like saying water causes
wetness, but his rejection of causation either way
amounts to a straw man given our lack of knowledge
about the nature of the brain-mind relationship.