--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
<snip>
> > Here's the post you were responding to (which is
> > referring to a satirical TMO press release Barry
> > crafted, which you said you had taken seriously
> > until halfway through it):
> >
> > --------------
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > wrote:
> > > We say this over and over again on this newsgroup, but
> > > it speaks volumns about the present state of the TMO
> > > when outrageous satire of the TMO is initially
> > > perceived as "rational" movement discourse!
> >
> > Does it speak volumes about the present state of
> > the TMO, or about how people on this forum tend to
> > perceive the TMO?
> >
> > I knew this was satire after reading the title.
>
> The question I posted for you to answer were relevant to your above
> comments, Judy, because Tantra's satire was very, very close to the
> reality that the TMO had become.
>
> But you seem to NOT feel that way because you were, unlike me, able
> to recognize it as satire as soon as you read the title.
>
> So I countered by asking you the question that I did because I
> wanted to see if you would have started TM when you did had the
> absurd reality of present-day TMO been prevalent then...

Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?

The answer is, of course, almost certainly not.  I
can think of only one circumstance under which I
might have: If I had had a good friend who had been
practicing TM and was familiar with the organization,
who had explained to me that I could ignore all the
crazy stuff and just learn and practice the technique.

As it was, I didn't know anybody who practiced TM
when I started, so all I knew about it was its
public face.  If it had been charging the same prices
then as it does now (even adjusted for inflation),
that would probably have discouraged me as well.  (I
paid $125 to learn in 1975.)

But Shemp, you knew this is how I would answer when
you asked the question, which is one reason I didn't
bother to answer.  As I said earlier, it was a
rhetorical question, not a request for information.

Not only that, your rhetorical question didn't make
the point you explain above that you intended--and
you even supply the reason why it didn't: You note
that Barry's satire wasn't close enough to the reality,
as far as I was concerned, to make me uncertain as
to whether it was serious.

In fact, you prove *my* point, which was that the
inability to recognize Barry's piece as satire had
more to do with one's perception of the organization
than with the reality of the organization.  As nutty
as the TMO now is, even so nutty that it would have
dissuaded me from starting TM, it's nowhere near *as*
nutty as Barry's piece suggested.  One would have to
have a really unrealistic view of the TMO to be taken
in by it.  I don't think even *Barry* expected that.