No, it's not mental retardation, although that could be a
factor. It's not walking.

In this interesting article, a theory is proposed that
living in a town or city that is comfortable to walk around,
and thus encourages walking, creates a vastly different
cognitive mapping through which we see the universe than
does living in a place where you drive everywhere. I have
certainly seen the truth of this living in Europe, which
incidentally tends to produce people with more liberal
views, *except* in the burbs where people live distanced
from other people and have to drive wherever they're going.
Interesting theory.

http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article03151301.aspx